Wildcats strong in quick turnaround

RISON — Playing their second game in four days, the Rison Wildcats picked up their fourth straight win by blanking the Camden Harmony Grove Hornets junior varsity, 36-0, at Wildcat Field Monday night.

The victory against the Class 3A school improved the Wildcats’ record to 4-2 overall, as they recorded their second consecutive shutout. However, Rison’s seven-game streak of having at least one touchdown pass in a contest, dating back to last year, came to an end. The streak tied a school record set 39 years ago.

Following the game, Rison head coach Clay Totty said, “We got to work on some different things tonight and a lot of kids got to play. We got to see some things that we can’t simulate in practice.”

Due to open dates the next two Fridays and other teams in the midst of their conference schedules, Totty did not want to go three weeks without playing prior to a big 8-2A Conference battle with Bearden on Oct. 25 at Rison. The ‘Cats will see action again Oct. 15 when they host the 8-4A Crossett Eagles junior varsity at 7 p.m.

Kolton Hooks got Rison’s scoring started against the Hornets with touchdown runs of 22 and 5 yards in the opening minutes of the game. Zuntario Oliver added the first of his three PAT kicks that gave the ‘Cats a 14-0 advantage with only 2:54 gone in the game. The second TD was set up by an 18-yard pass from quarterback Nathan Wilson to end Eric Leopard.

Later in the first period, Oliver came up with the first of his two pass interceptions to set up Rison’s third scoring drive. Wilson capped the march on a 7-yard TD run around the right side to extend the Wildcats’ lead to 21-0 lead at the 4:55 mark of the opening quarter.

Then Oliver followed with his second interception and returned the pick 35 yards for a touchdown that padded the Wildcats’ cushion to 27-0 late in the first period.

Shortly after a punt by Seth Crouse backed up the Hornets to their own 8, Rison came up with a safety when quarterback Charles Parham had to cover a high snap from center in the end zone on the first play of the second quarter that made it 29-0.

Three turnovers by the Rison reserve unit stopped offensive possessions for the Wildcats in Hornet territory before the half ended.

Late in the third period, Parham directed Harmony Grove on a lengthy drive that reached the Rison 9 for a first down.

However, the Wildcats’ Jaylon Mitchum intercepted Parham’s next pass at the goal line and was tackled at the 2.

From there the ‘Cats went 98 yards in eight plays, climaxed by Bryson Marks’ 45-yard touchdown dash with 4:43 remaining in the game. Chris Leaks tacked on the PAT kick to push Rison’s lead to 36-0.