WC wins in OT

Watson Chapel overcame a fourth quarter rally from Camden Fairview to win 58-53 in overtime. For the Wildcats, senior point guard Tevin Brown scored the last six points in overtime to claim a victory in Chapel’s conference opener.

“Tevin’s been our starting point guard since he was a sophomore,” Watson Chapel head coach Matt Busch said. “I just feel comfortable with the ball in his hands when I’ve been in these situations.”

Watson Chapel (9-3, 1-0 5A-South) controlled much of the battle in the paint against Camden Fairview’s forward Kevon Parnell. The junior averages 16 points and 10 rebounds per game and was a focus in Busch’s game plan. “Our game plan was to front him and make him throw it over the top,” Busch said.

After a slow start in the first quarter and Camden Fairview leading 7-6, Watson Chapel settled down and attacked the mid range and post to go on a run. Junior forward Xavier Young grabbed a game high 12 rebounds and was a key factor in the Wildcats getting points off of hard defensive play and turnovers.

“He’s our tallest player and has a nose for the ball. He’s really our unsung hero tonight,” Busch said.

After going back and forth, the Wildcats went on a 9-0 rally in the second quarter, highlighted by senior Ben Marcus getting four quick points from an assist from junior Leonard Robinson and a steal.

The Wildcats kept dominating the boards and went into halftime with a 24-14 lead over the Cardinals.

Going into the fourth quarter and trailing 39-26, Camden Fairview’s Chave Zackery took matters into his hands A sophomore point guard, Zackery made scored 12 points in the fourth quarter to help overcome his team’s deficit.

“The shots that he hit were guarded,” Busch said. “He just basically put it on his shoulders.”

With the score being 46-46 at the end of regulation, Brown acknowledged that his team got out of rhythm during the Cardinals’ rally but wanted to win the game for the team.

“We just got out of our philosophy during the game and we stopped communicating on defense,” Brown said. “I just wanted the ball in my hands and to step up for my team.”

In overtime, senior guard Matthew Ollison hit a three-pointer that put the Cardinals up 51-49. However on the next possession, Chapel senior guard C.J. Robinson made both of his free throws. After a turnover from the Cardinals, Brown brought the ball down court and scored a mid-range jumper that solidified a lead for the Wildcats. The Wildcats then extended the lead 58-53 when Brown was sent to the free throw line at the end of overtime.

“Big time player make big time plays. My team did a great job of getting me the ball,” Brown said.

Ben Marcus finished with a team high 20 points while Brown finished with 15 points.


Watson Chapel 49,

Camden Fairview 31

The Watson Chapel Lady Wildcats cruised past the Camden Fairview Lady Cardinals to win their 5A-South conference season opener Friday night at home.

Senior guard Kierra Cox scored the game’s first seven points to give Watson Chapel a 7-0 lead. The Lady Cardinals were unable to get inside the post as Watson’s Chapel defense forced Camden Fairview to take outside shots.

Watson Chapel went into halftime with a 23-11 lead. Chapel’s defense started to give up points inside the paint in the third quarter but the Lady Wildcats were able to keep a comfortable lead with Camden Fairview down 38-27.

However in the third quarter, the Lady Cardinals started to use full court press against Watson Chapel and after taking advantage off of a turnover and a foul Camden Fairview found itself now down by eight with 7:01 left to go in the game.

Coach Leslie Henderson’s squad avoided a change in momentum with Cox, sophomore forward Alaina Pace and junior forward Tamaria attacking inside and getting to the free throw line to extend their lead and do away with Camden’s Fairview change of defensive strategy.