Editor, The Progress:
On Oct. 20, Komen Arkansas hosts its 19th Race for a Cure. Each year, tens of thousands gather to raise money to help the women in Arkansas have the opportunity to receive screening and life-saving treatment.
As race chair, I wanted a theme that captured Komen Arkansas’ mission and the spirit of the Race — our theme “Run As One” does this. It signifies our unity, as a community, in fighting this disease. I am very proud that 75 percent of all money we raise stays in Arkansas and funds local breast health grants that provide much-need awareness, screening and treatment programs. The remaining 25 percent funds breast cancer research through grants awarded by our national organization.
This race is especially important to me because I am a survivor. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age 33. The diagnosis was shocking because I had no risk factors. I was young, healthy, exercised regularly and had no history of breast cancer in my family. The diagnosis shook me to my core, but I knew I had to fight. Through my faith, the support of my family, and wonderful medical treatment received right here in Arkansas, I have been cancer free since July 2004.
If you want to participate, you may register at www.komenarkansas.org or in-person at our Race Space in Pleasant Ridge Town Center, Little Rock. Together, as one, we can find a cure. Will you run with me?