LITTLE ROCK — The State Review Board of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program nominated seven Arkansas properties for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places when it met August 7, AHPP Director Frances McSwain announced today.
Properties nominated to the National Register are:
* Dunbar Historic District at Little Rock in Pulaski County, featuring buildings dating to 1890
* Southern Trust Building at Little Rock in Pulaski County, a ten-story office building constructed 1906-7 and designed by noted Little Rock architect George R. Mann
* Camp House at Aplin in Perry County, a ca. 1917 Craftsman-style building
* Hall-Hogan Grocery Store at Conway in Faulkner County, a ca. 1948 structure with a mixed-masonry veneer created by stonemason Silas Owens, Sr.
* Walnut Grove Cemetery at Cord in Independence County, containing burials dating to 1840
* Thomas J. Hankins House at Pelsor in Pope County, a 1929 residence designed in the Craftsman style of architecture
* W.F. and Estelle McWilliams House at El Dorado in Union County, a 1922 building reflecting the Craftsman, Classical Revival and Mediterranean Revival styles of architecture.
The board also listed the Hankins Country Store at Pelsor in Pope County on the Arkansas Register of Historic Places. The Arkansas Register recognizes historically noteworthy places that are not eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
For more information on the National Register of Historic Places program, write the AHPP at 1500 Tower Building, 323 Center St., Little Rock, AR 72201, call the agency at (501) 324-9880 [TDD 501-324-9811], send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.arkansaspreservation.org.
The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency that identifies, evaluates, registers and preserves the state’s cultural resources. Other agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Delta Cultural Center, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission and the Historic Arkansas Museum.