SHERIDAN — One of the best catchers in the state will be behind the plate Tuesday as Sheridan senior Allison Stipes is scheduled to start in the Arkansas High School Coaches Association All-Star softball games.
The doubleheader will be held at Farris Field at the University of Central Arkansas in Conway.
“Almost every umpire has come up to me after games and said that she was the best catcher that they have called behind all year,” Sheridan head coach Eddie Woodall said.
Stipes had a .406 batting average with 27 runs, 15 RBIs and five walks. She was 7A/6A-South All-District and was on the 2012 All-State Tournament team.
“It really is a privilege and I am thankful that I get to go,” Stipes said. “Should be a fun experience.”
Stipes was part of a Sheridan ballclub that made it to the 6A state semifinals and finished the year with just three losses. Russellville, which won the 6A title, knocked the Lady Yellowjackets out of the tournament.
“She is just real hard-nosed and never complains,” Woodall said. “She just does her job and works hard.”
Stipes committed to Arkansas-Monticello and will join the softball team in the fall.
“I’m looking forward to being part of a good softball team,” Stipes said. “They have a really good program and I really liked the coach.”
She also got an offer from Central Baptist College.
Sheridan defeated Benton twice this season and Stipes said that was one of her favorite memories.
“Definitely beating Benton because they are kind of our rivalry,” Stipes said.
Joining her on the West team is future teammate and roommate Kori Parker of Benton. White Hall’s Sydnee Clark and Rachel Box are also on the West roster.
Magnet Cove’s Brian Nivens will coach the West team while Beebe’s Eric Chambers will coach the East team.
Local girls joining the East team include Woodlawn’s Rebecca Britt and Monticello’s Ashleigh White.
The first game is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. Tuesday.
Arkansas High School Coaches Association All-Star games will be held this week at the University of Central Arkansas (except for the soccer games at Conway High School). A list of All-Stars and coaches from area schools participating in each sport:
• Baseball (doubleheader starting at 5 p.m.; rosters not specified): Bret Boyd, Woodlawn; Dontrell Brown, Stuttgart; Zack House, Star City; Cole Johnson, Fordyce; Will Naron, Monticello; Tyler Zuber, White Hall
• Softball (doubleheader starting at 5 p.m.): West roster — Rachel Box, White Hall; Sydnee Clark, White Hall; Allison Stipes, Sheridan. East roster — Rebecca Britt, Woodlawn; Ashleigh White, Monticello
• Girls soccer, 6 p.m.: West — assistant coach Dexter Barksdale, White Hall
• Boys soccer, 8 p.m.: East — Omar Macias, Warren
• Girls basketball, 6 p.m.: West — Kamera Bozeman, Watson Chapel. East — Tyeshia Harris, Star City
• Boys basketball, 8 p.m.: East — Davone Chapman, Dollarway; Zach Ellis, McGehee
• Football, 7 p.m.: West — Walter Ashley, Pine Bluff; Anthony Johnson, Dollarway; Kelvin Sergeant, Pine Bluff; Joseph Stewart, White Hall; assistant coach Bobby Bolding, Pine Bluff. East — Dontrell Brown, Stuttgart; Waymon Johnson, Stuttgart; Steven King, McGehee; Malachi Pointer, Dumas