Bears unable to stop screen pass in loss

HAMPTON — Hampton’s Chase Riley passed for 261 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Bulldogs to a 28-8 homecoming victory over the Woodlawn Bears Friday night at Andy Andrews Field.

Meanwhile, Bears’ running back Patrick Cantrell had a break-out game, rushing 15 times for 121 yards to lead all rushers.

The game was really a game of two halves as the Bulldogs used some screen plays to generate three first half touchdowns before Woodlawn used a mix of the run and pass to came back in the second half. The Bears marched five times inside the Hampton 20 but could only come away with one score.

Hampton’s first score came on a simple screen pass from Riley to Jaleel Heard that looked as though it might go for a couple of yards before Heard began snaking his way through defenders to go 67 yards for the score with 7:56 left in the first quarter. The point after was no good, giving the ‘Dogs a 6-0 lead.

After Hampton stripped the ball away from Woodlawn on first-down pass completion, Riley hit five consecutive passes before hooking up with Jordan Brown for a 17-yard score on yet another screen pass. Riley found Brown on the two-point conversion to make it 14-0 with 6:53 left in the second.

Riley would add another score just before halftime when Heard made an pick at midfield with 39 seconds left. On the second play after the turnover, Heard took another screen pass from Riley 47 yards to the Woodlawn 3. A penalty at the end of the play gave the Bulldogs the ball at the one and Brett Starr punched it in on the next play. The point after was good, making it 21-0 with just 13 seconds left.

The Bears would control most of the second half.

Taking the kickoff to start the third quarter, Cantrell burst through for 63 yards on the first snap before being dragged down at the Hampton 18. However, Woodlawn was unable to score and turned the ball over on downs at the Bulldog 11.

The Bears pushed Hampton back to its own 1, forcing the ‘Dogs to punt from their own endzone.

Woodlawn’s J.P. Aiken returned it 22 yards to the Hampton 14. An offensive pass interference call against Aiken on touchdown reception backed the Bears up to their 21, but he and quarterback Blake Erstine hooked up on the next play for the score. Aiken then ran in the two-pointe conversion to make it 21-8 with 8:01 left in the third.

That momentum, however, would be short lived as Riley and Heard hooked up for yet another screen play that went for a long score, this time 49 yards with 6:55 remaining in the third. The PAT made it 28-8.

Woodlawn moved inside the Hampton 20 three mores times, but came up empty each time.

Both teams were winless going into the 8-2A matchup. Hampton improved to 1-3 while Woodlawn fell to 0-6 and 0-5.

Erstine has his best night of the season throwing the ball, completing 9-of-25 passes for 111 yards and a touchdown. He had two passes intercepted.

Riley completed 14-of-28 passes in compiling his 261 yards. He also had two interceptions.