Bearden dominates Woodlawn on homecoming

BEARDEN — The Bearden Bears scored four touchdowns in a span of 1:21 of the first quarter to turn their homecoming game with the Woodlawn Bears into an early blowout as they rolled to a 48-8 victory Friday night at Rogers Field.

The loss dropped Woodlawn to 0-4 overall and 0-3 in 8-2A Conference action while Bearden improved to 2-2 overall and 2-1 in league play.

Woodlawn got off to a promising start using its new spread offense as the visiting Bears moved to the Bearden 41 before the drive stalled.

A holding call on Bearden’s first play backed the homestanding Bears to their own 35 but that didn’t seemed to matter much to quarterback Marcus Flint. Flint threw a nice strike downfield to hit Zach Craig for a 32-yard gain on the first play and then connected with Quentin Craig on the next for a 33-yard touchdown pass with 5:58 left in the first quarter. Bearden converted on the two-point conversion to make it 8-0.

That’s when the wheels seemed to come off for Woodlawn.

On the first play of Woodlawn’s ensuing possession, Flint picked off Blake Erstine’s pass into the flat and trotted untouched 20 yards for the touchdown.

On Woodlawn’s next offensive snap, Craig picked off a high pass on the opposite side of the field to go 38 yards nearly untouched into the endzone.

Woodlawn would then fumble away the ensuing kickoff giving Bearden possession at the Woodlawn 23. On the first play after the turnover, Jamond Young broke outside and covered the distance in just one play to make it 34-0 with 4:37 still left in the first quarter.

Bearden would make it 40-0 on the first play of the second quarter when B.J. Ross scored on a 13-yard run to cap a two-play, 25-yard drive after Woodlawn failed to convert on fourth down. Jarrodd Proffitt tacked on the extra point to make 41-0 with 11:55 left in the first half.

Bearden’s final score came at the 3:57 in the third quarter when Young, playing as the reserve quarterback, raced around the edge for a 37-yard touchdown run.

Woodlawn came back with its best drive of the game, going 67 yards in 10 plays before Erstine’s pass bounced off a receiver into the hands of Proffitt at the Woodlawn 3.

On the next play, however, Woodlawn’s Patrick Cantrell dropped Jameko Lowe in the endzone for a safety avoiding the shutout.

After taking the free kick at the Woodlawn 40, the Bears would use a personal foul and a horse collar call to set up a 20-yard tunnel screen from Erstine to Luke Parker for the touchdown with 2:38 left in the game. Erstine’s two-point pass attempt fell incomplete.

After the rough start, Erstine came back in the second half to complete seven-of-10 passes for 58 yards and the touchdown. At one point, he hit five consecutive pass attempts. He finished the game completing 12-of-20 passes for 76 yards and three interceptions.

Parker was the Woodlawn’s leading receiver, pulling in five passes for 52 yards.

Cantrell was Woodlawn’s leading rusher with 44 yards on 10 carries.

Young was the game’s leading rushing with 62 yards on just three carries with two touchdowns.