No word on Powell, Young for next season


FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas coach Mike Anderson has not spoken to forward Marshawn Powell or guard B.J. Young about their plans for next season.

So Anderson said Friday he wouldn’t guess whether the Razorbacks’ two leading scorers will return for the 2013-14 season or start professional basketball careers.

Anderson couldn’t provide much clarity on Young and Powell, who are considering their options now that 2012-13 has ended. Both players ranked among the top 10 in the Southeastern Conference in scoring and accounted for roughly 40 percent of Arkansas’ point production, combining for 29.7 this season.

Their status is one of the biggest questions surrounding the Razorbacks as they move into the offseason. Both Young and Powell said they weren’t thinking about the future as Arkansas prepared for the SEC Tournament earlier this month. But the early exit means they may have played for the final time as Razorbacks.

Powell has spent four years on campus, but missed most of 2011-12 after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee. He returned to form last season and averaged 14.5 points and 5.4 rebounds.

Young – who explored the draft as a freshman before returning to Arkansas – led the team in scoring (15.2 points) and improved in a few areas as a sophomore. But he struggled from the perimeter, shooting 22.7 percent (25 of 110) from 3-point range.

A 2013 NBA mock draft by CBSSports.com listed Young as a second-round pick (the 45th overall selection) Thursday. Powell was not among the selections.

Arkansas didn’t have any seniors on its roster last season so 12 scholarship players – including Powell and Young — are eligible in 2013-14. The Razorbacks have signed two players in forwards Bobby Portis and Moses Kingsley, which would put them over the NCAA maximum of 13 scholarships granted each season.