Suspect in Sunday burglary arrested

A reported burglary at a house Sunday on Bobo Road resulted in the arrest of a man police found trying to spray paint the vehicle allegedly used in the burglary.

Steve Ault, 32, allegedly broke into a house at about 9:30 a.m. and fought with the homeowner before escaping, Deputy Prosecutor Maxie Kizer said during a court hearing Tuesday for Ault.

Detective Bill Wiegand reported that the victim said he was asleep when he heard a noise and saw Ault, who ran out of the house, got into a blue Suburban and left the area.

Kizer said the victim called police and while he was waiting on them to arrive, Ault reportedly came back and struggled with the homeowner, losing his jacket in the process before again running out, getting into the Suburban and leaving. Ault was reportedly armed with a knife at the time.

Another person who lived in the house reported that a computer and other items were taken, the affidavit from Wiegand said.

At about 1:15 p.m., police were called to a reported disturbance involving a male and female in the 800 block of West 29th Avenue and found a blue Suburban that was being spray-painted white.

Wiegand reported that Officer Mike Sweeney, who was one of the officers sent to the disturbance, believed the man, later identified as Ault, was a suspect in the burglary. When he attempted to question Ault, Ault ran and had to be tased before officers could take him into custody.

Items that were reported missing in the burglary were found in the vehicle, as well as other items the victim said he wasn’t aware were missing.

Wiegand reported that when Ault was questioned about why he went back to the house a second time, Ault reportedly said he lost his knife and went back to get it. Ault also said he had used the knife to pry open doors and cut wires.

Pine Bluff District Judge John Kearney set a $50,000 bond for Ault — who Kizer said had prior convictions for residential burglary, theft of property and breaking or entering — after ruling prosecutors had probable cause to charge him with aggravated residential burglary.

Kearney also ordered Ault to have no contact with the alleged victim until the case is settled and told him to come back to court Nov. 20.

Ault said he would hire his own attorney.