Police say driver in fatal accident admits to have been drinking

The driver of a vehicle that allegedly hit two people last week told police Thursday he “had been drinking” before the accident where one victim later died.

Jarrod Hobbs, 32, was arrested Thursday after being identified as the driver of a 2002 black GMC Envoy that hit Erick Green, 19, and Jonathan Haney, 20, while the men were walking east on West Sixth Avenue near Young Street at about 11:56 p.m. Oct. 5.

Green and Haney were taken to Jefferson Regional Medical Center and Haney was transferred to the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Medical Center at Little Rock where he died Monday. Green was treated for non-life threatening injuries and released.

During a court hearing Friday, Deputy Prosecutor Maxie Kizer said after the accident, Hobbs left the scene and “made no effort to return or to check on the victims.”

Detective Bill Wiegand reported that police received a confidential tip about Hobbs and the vehicle, and located it at a house in the 1400 block of Peach Street. Parts of the vehicle recovered at the scene matched damage to the vehicle that police recovered.

Wiegand also reported that Hobbs waived his right to an attorney and when questioned, said he was westbound on West Sixth Avenue and reached for his cell phone, causing the vehicle to cross the center line and hit Green and Haney.

Hobbs also reportedly told police he saw the two at the last minute and couldn’t avoid hitting them. After the accident, Hobbs reportedly said he fled “because he was scared.”

At the request of Prosecuting Attorney S. Kyle Hunter, Jefferson County District Judge Kim Bridgforth set a $75,000 bond for Hobbs after ruling prosecutors had probable cause to charge him with manslaughter and with leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, both felonies.

Kizer said Hobbs had a previous conviction for DWI in 2007.

Hobbs said he would hire his own attorney and was told to come back to court Nov. 23.