Terminology for work and materials used:
Arkansas One Call: The state of Arkansas requires a one—call before digging begins on many of our roads and ditches. A one-call occurs when utilities locate their lines where the work is to be done. When the lines and pipes of the utilities are located they are marked to alert Jefferson County employees not to dig in that area.
SB2: Large gray gravel used on road to stabilize the road base.
Cold Mix: Asphalt used for patching potholes.
Hot Mix: Asphalt used to overlay roads.
CRS2: The oil used to chip-seal a road.
Calcium: Sprayed onto bridges and roads to melt snow and ice. Also used on gravel roads to control dust.
Rip Rap: Large rock used for washouts on ditch banks and around the ends of culverts. Rip is sometimes used as a sub base for new roads if there is a lot of water underground.
Sealing Chips: Gray crushed granite rock that is used with CRS2 to chip and seal a road.
Herbicide Spraying: Used around bridges and signs to kill weeds and bushes.
Mosquito Spraying: Jefferson County has a truck that is used to spray for mosquitoes. To request spraying in certain area, contact the Jefferson County Road Department at 534-7020.
The roads that were repaired by the Jefferson County Road Department last week are as follows:
• Culvert Crews & Heavy Equipment Operators: Removed curb at the new sheriff’s site and buried tires at the recycling center.
• Grader Operators: Graded Girl Scout Road, Milner Road, Buttermilk Road, Dairy Lane, Stardust Trail, Wooten Drive, Stowe Road, Wayne Drive and German Springs Road.
• Boom Mower Crew: Cut grass in the ditches on Riverside Road, Watkins Road, Bennett Road, Wabbaseka Park and Sell Davis Drive.
• Sign Shop: Put road signs up on Tamo River Road, West Bitely Road, Newton Road, and put mailbox back up on Old Star City Highway.
• Patching Crew: Filled potholes on James Town Road, Palomino Road, Stark Gate Road and Eva Drive.
• Culvert Crew & Heavy Equipment Crew: Measured bridge on Brunetti and made a one-call to repair the washout on Cross Road. Dug a hole to bury the tire chips and covered the tire chips at the recycling center.
• Truck Drivers: Hauled 48 yards of SB2 to German Springs Road to spread on the road.
• Grader Operators: Graded Tas, Townsend Road, Fugate Road, Morris Road, Leslie Road, Mitchell Road, Carlee Road, Castro Road and Alford Lane. Graded Appian Way and spread three loads of SB2 on the road, Graded Fern Leaf Road and spread one load of SB2 on the road.
• Boom Mower Crew: Cut the right of way on Linwood Road and Providence Road. Cut grass on North Pack Road, Love Road and Belmont Road.
• Culvert Crew & Heavy Equipment Operators: Installed a culvert on South Pointer Road and Woodhaven Road and used 20 yards of SB2 to cover the culverts. Dug a hole at the Jefferson County Recycling Center to bury tire chips.
• Truck Drivers: Hauled three loads of SB2 from Jefferson County Road Department to Earl Chadick Road. Hauled 20 yards of SB2 to South Pointer Road, Whiteville Road and Woodhaven Road to cover the culverts that were installed.
• Grader Operators: Set Earl Chadick Road up and spread 42 yards of SB2 on the road. Graded Lee Berry Road, North and South Sassafras Trail, Crayon Cove, Pine Creek Lane, Arabian Drive, Klie, O’Brient, Rolfe Road and Richmond Core Road.
• Ditching Crew: Cut the ditches on Chandler Road.
• Boom Mower Crew: Cut grass on Joe T. Henslee Road, Webb Road and Shady Grove Road.
• Sign Shop: Replaced post for curve sign and replaced speed limit sign on and post on West Bitely Road. Put a bridge delineator sign up West Bitely Road. Took road closed signs to South Pointer Road where a culvert was being installed. Replaced post for curve sign on Netwon Road and replaced the post for speed limit sign on Newton Road. Replaced curve sign and post on Carman Road. Cut a limb that was hanging over the road on Princeton Pike and put a stop sign back up on Whitehaven Road.
• Patching Crew: Filled potholes on Monk Road, East and West Baldwin Road and NCTR Road.
• Culvert Crew: Dug a hole to bury tire chips.
• Grader Operator: Cut right of way on Providence Road. Graded Sweeney Road, Skoal Road, Moody Road, Archer Road, Fisher Adams Road, Riverside Road and Maynard Road.
• Ditching Crew: Sprayed for mosquitos on Jackson Road, Hosman Drive, Sidney Street, Wabbaseka area and Altheimer area.
• Boom Mower Crew: Cut the grass on Abernathy Road, Haynes Road, Noble Lake Road, Sleepy Hollow, Otto Hall Road, Kindness Road.
• Sign Shop: Put four road signs up at West Bitely Road and Tamo River Road. Put road sign up at Newton Road, Fugate Road, Mabry Road. Worked in the sign shop the rest of the day making signs.
Jefferson County recycling report
• Brought in eight tire boxes, three paper boxes, four trash boxes.
• Brought in three trash trailers, took three trash trailers out.
• Jefferson County brought in 32.23 tons of tires. Waste Management/Get Rid of It brought in 20.26 tons of tires.
• Hauled four more boxes of miscellaneous debris from the Taft Street/Coleman Elementary community cleanup.
• Provided trash boxes for community cleanup at Central Park.