Terminology for work and materials used:
Arkansas One Call: The state of Arkansas requires a one call before digging begins on many of our roads and ditches. A one call is where the different utilities locate their lines where the work is to be done. When the lines and pipes of the utilities are located they are marked so as to alert Jefferson County employees not to dig in that area.
SB2: Large gray gravel used on road to stabilize the road base.
Cold Mix: Asphalt used for patching potholes.
Hot Mix: Asphalt used to overlay roads.
CRS2: The oil used to chip-seal a road.
Calcium: Sprayed onto bridges and roads to melt snow and ice. Also used on gravel roads to control dust.
Rip Rap: Large rock used for washouts on ditch banks and around the ends of culverts. Rip is sometimes used as a sub base for new roads if there is a lot of water underground.
Sealing Chips: Gray crushed granite rock that is used with CRS2 to chip and seal a road.
Herbicide Spraying: Used around bridges and signs to kill weeds and bushes.
Mosquito Spraying: Jefferson County has a truck that is used to spray for mosquitoes. Residents may contact the Jefferson County Road Department 534-7020 and request that the truck be used to spray for mosquitoes in specific areas.
The roads that were repaired by the Jefferson County Road Department last week are as follows:
• Patching Crew: Filled potholes with cold mix on Ray Dean Road.
• Grader Operators: Graded Cornerstone Road, Swan Lake Road, Gibb Anderson Road and County Line Road.
• Boom Mower Crew: Cut grass on West Bitely Road and Winston Road.
• Sign Shop: Put a speed limit sign on Kady Road. Put a road sign on Billingsley Road, Reed Drive and Mitchell Road. A stop sign was put up on Reed Drive, Middle Warren Road and Pine Cone Lane.
• Environmental Officer: Checked for illegal dumping on Atkins Lake Road, Celia Road, Lavender Lane, Osborn Road, Fairfield Road, Stratton Drive, Ruggeri Road and Noble Lake Road.
• Patching Crew: Filled potholes on Blackwell Road, Teal Lane and Gilliand Road with hot mix.
• Culvert Crew and Heavy Equipment Crew: Went to Little Rock to pick up a mini excavator.
• Truck Drivers: Hauled hot mix from Little Rock to Blackwell Road, Teal Road and Gilliand Road.
• Grader Operators: Graded Cornerstone Road, Swan Lake Recreational Road and Morgan Road. Cut right of way on Shine Road.
• Sign Shop: Put a sign on Ray Dean Road. Put a sign on NCTR Road and Highway 365. Put a sign up on Pine Cone Lane and Middle Warren Road. Checked signs on Horseshoe Lake Road and off of Pine Cone Lane to be sure the signs are visible and in good condition. Worked in sign shop making signs.
• Patching Crew: Filled potholes on South Pack Road.
• Culvert Crew and Heavy Equipment Operators: Worked at the new sheriff’s office putting down dirt with the mini excavator.
• Truck Drivers: Hauled two loads of river rock to the Road Department. Hauled one load of dirt to the new sheriff’s department site.
• Grader Operators: Cut the right of way on Whiteaker Road and Pine Meadow Drive and graded Altheimer East Road.
• Ditching Crew: Cut grass that was in the ditches on Chandler Road.
• Boom Mower Crew: Cut the grass on Earl Chadick, Otto Hall Road, Kindness Drive and Moscow Store Road.
• Sign Shop: Cleaned brush away from where the new speed limit sign was put up on Meadowwood Lane. Put a new road sign on Sweetgum Lane, Adcock Lane, Pin Oak Lane. Put a new speed limit sign on Dixon Lane. Cleaned brush away and put up a new speed limit sign on Pine Cone Lane. Pulled a bent post and replaced the stop sign and speed limit sign on Pine Cone Lane and Meadowwood Drive. Repaired the stop sign and road sign on Suman Drive and pulled up a bent post on Dixon Lane.
• Patching Crew: Filled potholes on South Pack Road with cold mix.
• Truck Driver: Hauled two loads of dirt to the new sheriff’s office and one load to the Jefferson County Road Department. Hauled one load of sealing chips from the road department to Irene Drive.
• Grader Operator: Graded East Baldwin Road, Horn Drive, Providence Road, Milner Road, Mulberry Road, Longbell Road and Altheimer East Road. Cut the right of way on Petty Road and Chaparral Drive.
• Ditching Crew: Cleaned out the ditches along the Old Star City Highway.
• Boom Mower Crew: Cut grass on Mitchell Road, Moscow Store Road and Winston Road.
• Sign Shop: Repaired stop sign on Rogers Road and pulled old sign up on Chaparral Drive. Put a new stop sign up on Snyder Road. Put a new road sign up on Meadowwood Lane and Dixon Lane and on Lindsay Drive and Sumac Drive. Put a new road sign on Red Oak Lane and Brown Cemetary Road. Put a road sign and a stop sign on McCosley Road.
• Patching Crew: Filled potholes on South Pack Road and Cantrel Road with cold mix.
• Grader Operators: Cut the right of way on Shannon Road. Graded Gibb Anderson Road, Wilson Road, Garrett Road, Freeman Road, Willie Jackson Road, Fluke Kelly Road and Longbell Road.
• Boom Mower Crew: Cut the grass on Winston Road, Sleepy Hollow Road, Vaugine Road and Mitchell Road.
• Sign Shop: Replaced a mailbox that was knocked down by a car traveling on Kilcrease Road. Checked signs on Bitely Road and Newton Road for visibility and to make sure they were in good condition.
Jefferson County Recycling Report
• Took in 14 tire boxes, four paper boxes, two trash boxes.
• Brought three trash trailers in, took three trash trailers out.
• Jefferson County brought in 47.75 tons of tires.
• Get Rid of It/Waste Management brought in 48.36 tons of tires.
• Sent a load of cardboard out.