A proposal to allocate $3,000 toward the establishment of a police substation at 28 School St. will be considered Monday by the Pine Bluff City Council.
The city council meets at 5:30 p.m. Monday in council chambers at the civic complex. The Public Safety Committee meets at 4 p.m. and the Ordinances and Resolutions and Ways and Means committees meet at 5 p.m.
Alderman Steven Mays is sponsoring the proposal, which would allocate the money from undesignated general funds.
Volunteers from St. Luke United Methodist Church at 32 School St. and others have been fixing up the long-empty, former store building for use as a neighborhood center, with hopes of housing a food pantry, thrift store, small conference room, general church storage and working space as needed for two or three Pine Bluff Police Department AmeriCorps cadets, according to previous articles on the project.
The work so far has been done by volunteers with the help of donations from the business community and individuals. They hope to have the building completed by May.
In other business, the council will consider:
• A proposed ordinance, up for its third and final reading, from Mays to revive a Commission on Children and Youth that has not been used in recent years.
• Two proposed ordinances, up for their first readings, to close portions of streets: West 14th Avenue between Bois D’Arc Street and Peach Street and 100 feet of Wormack Street immediately west of Moreland Street.
• A proposed ordinance confirming the budget adjustments that were approved during 2011 — a routine action to close out the 2011 budget cycle.
• A proposed resolution to place the cost of correcting nuisances at about 55 properties on the tax books as delinquent taxes.
• Three proposed resolutions commending outgoing members of the Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas Board of Trustees for their service: Kyle Havner, John Jacob and Sammye Owen.
• Three proposed resolutions appointing members to the Arts and Science Center board: David Fleming, Linda Lewis and Leslie Peters.