Elm Grove Baptist Church will celebrate its 170th anniversary Sunday.
The church served as a school for the Noble Lake and Cottondale communities until 1947, according to records of the Pine Bluff School District.
In 1965 the church was moved to 3114 S. Mississippi St. in Pine Bluff. On Sept. 3, 1995, the church moved from a two Sundays a month to full time service under the leadership of its pastor, Rev. Jesse C. Turner.
In August 1999, Mr. and Mrs. Henri Pote, friends of Turner delivered an organ to the church, donated by Mr. and Mrs. Mike Rose of Garland, Texas. On July 2008, the starting time for worship service moved to 10 a.m. with church school starting at 8:30 a.m.