Central Arkansas Development Council is seeking community volunteers to provide free tax help in Dallas County during the tax filing season.
Managed by CADC, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program is a community based partnership with the Internal Revenue Service that provides free tax return preparation for low to moderate income taxpayers.
In Dallas County, the service is offered at the Fordyce Civic Center. CADC schedules tax program orientation sessions periodically for new and potential volunteers in the VITA free tax assistance program. For upcoming training dates, contact Jean Sorrells at 870-867-0151.
In 2012, CADC helped more than 3,000 people file federal and state returns. CADC sponsors free tax sites in Clark, Pike, Montgomery, Saline, Hot Spring, Ouachita, Union, Columbia, Pulaski, Lonoke, Calhoun and Dallas counties.
CADC is a nonprofit community action agency that was formed in 1965 to fight and win the “War on Poverty.”
Here are 10 things CADC wants people to know about becoming a tax volunteer in Dallas County:
1. No previous experience is required.
2. If you are fluent in a language other than English, you can help those who do not speak English understand their tax return.
3. CADC provides free tax law training and materials needed to prepare basic individual income tax returns.
4. Volunteers become familiar with deductions, allowable expenses and credits that benefit eligible taxpayers, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Child Tax Credit and the Credit for the Elderly.
5. The hours are flexible. Volunteers generally serve an average of three to four hours per week from mid-January through the tax filing deadline, which is April 15, 2013.
6. The volunteer site in Dallas County is located at the Fordyce Civic Center.
7. Tax sites offer free electronic filing for both federal and state tax returns.
8. As a tax volunteer, veterans (and non-veterans alike) may choose to help military personnel and their families.
9. Volunteers become part of an established program that has helped community members file tax returns at no charge for more than four decades.
10. You can make a difference as a tax volunteer.