The annual Knowledge Bowl sponsored by the Title I Parent and Family Resource Center for grades fourth through ninth will be 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Arkansas River Education Service Cooperative auditorium, 912 W. 6th St.
Virginia Hymes, Pine Bluff High School veteran art teacher and student advocate, will moderate the event.
Parents and students will compete in a Jeopardy-type competition, answering questions about contributions and achievements of Arkansas’ own heroes, famous African-Americans and math Benchmark release items.
There will be one overall elementary and one overall middle school/junior high winner. The elementary and middle school/junior high overall winners will receive cashiers’ checks. All student participants will receive Knowledge Bowl medallions and all school winners will receive trophies.
Preliminary contests were held at the schools and the following are the winners and alternate winners:
• Broadmoor: North winner Kaitlyn Peterson, daughter of Stephanie Smith; North alternate winner Trenton Harris, son of Marisa Harris; South winner Brian Evans, son of Carla Evans; South alternate winner Niala Moore, daughter of Tavai Moore.
• Greenville: North winner Darion Collins, son of April Brewer; North alternate winner Lamardre Brazell, son of Vineta Lindsey; South winner Brianna Taylor, daughter of Felicia Pam and Brian Taylor; South alternate winner Brionna Baker, daughter of Carol Baker.
• Oak Park: North winner Martin Davis, son of Leashebia Davis; North alternate winner Ethan White, son of Claudette and George White; South winner Kalifa Hulsey, daughter of Joyce and Rodney Hulsey; South alternate winner Cason Blunt, son of Christopher Blunt Sr.
• Southwood: North winner Erin Westmoreland, granddaughter of Vivian Washington; North alternate winner Tatyana Griffins, daughter of Tiffany Jones; South winner Christopher Heard, son of Brandon Stargell; South alternate winner Alliyah Perez, daughter of Mistie Nichols.
• W.T. Cheney: North winner Carl Garrison, son of John Garrison Sr.; North alternate winner Nathan McIntosh, son of Carrie McIntosh; South winner Jaya Foote, daughter of Barbara Hawkins; South alternate winner Vickivyon Coleman, son of Dennis Edwards.
• 34th Avenue: North winner Indonesia Jackson, daughter of LaKeisha Taggart; North alternate winner Traveon Harris, son of Tracey Harris; South winner Miraqule Peyton, daughter of Robbie Peyton; South alternate winner Ethan Johnson, son of Maria Mays.
• Belair: North winner Maiya Reed, daughter of Stephanie Brooks; North alternate winner Alexis Scarver, daughter of David Felps; South winner Nigeria Cole, daughter of Patricia Fountain; South alternate winner Ashia Shelton, daughter of Tamara Shelton.
• Southeast: North winner Christopher Blunt, son of Christopher Blunt Sr.; North alternate winner McKinni Jackson, daughter of April Bearden; South winner Treviyon Smith, son of Felicia Smith-Jordon; South alternate winner Malcolm Howard Jr. son of Malcolm Howard Sr.
• Jack Robey: North winner Sha’nee Hulsey, daughter of Joyce and Rodney Hulsey; North alternate winner Kimberley Moye’, daughter of Kimberley Cole; South winner Sadagicous Owens, daughter of Diana Bailey; South alternate winner LaDarrius Walker, son of Camille Walker.