Free income tax preparation scheduled Saturday

The Pine Bluff Wealth Building Coalition will offer free income-tax filing services during EITC Super Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, at the Donald W. Reynolds Center, 211 West Third Avenue in Pine Bluff.

The Earn Income Tax Credit (EITC) is for working people who earn less than $50,270. This year, the credit can be from $2 to $5,891. The credit amount changes based on:

• If you are single or married;

• The number of children you have;

• The amount you earn.

To be eligible to claim EITC for 2012 the taxpayer:

• Must work and have earned income

• Must have a valid Social Security number

• Must not have investment income of more than $3,200

•Generally must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien all year

• Cannot file as married filing separately

• Cannot be a qualifying child of another person

• Cannot file Form 2555 or 2555-EZ (related to foreign earned income)

“I encourage our citizens in Pine Bluff to take full advantage of the free tax preparation on Super Saturday. Dollars saved utilizing this service will ultimately be returned into the local economy either through paying off a bill or making a down payment on a home or buying a computer,” Pine Bluff Mayor Debe Hollingsworth said in a news release. “This will certainly be a boost to the city’s local economy.”

The Interested Citizens for Voter Registration Inc. continues the VITA/EITC services initiated by Pine Bluff Weed and Seed with the Pine Bluff Wealth Building Coalition. Other coalition members are Arkansas Community Organization and Area Agency on Aging.

Free income tax filing services are offered to individuals and families with an annual earned income of $50,270 and below. Simmons First National Bank will have representatives on hand to help persons establish checking or saving accounts. Taxpayers with banking accounts who use direct deposit will receive their retursn faster than those who receive their checks through the mail.

Saturday’s tax preparation will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Details 870-536-7274.

Persons needing help should bring:

•Social Security for yourself and your dependents

•Your picture ID

•W-2’s for all jobs held in 2012

•Form 1099’s (1099-G, 1099-MISC, 1099-INT, etc)

•Form 1098-T (tuition expenses)

•Form 1098 (Mortgage interest payment)

•Documentation of childcare expenses and childcare provider information

(agency ID or SSN of the provider)

•If you are filing Married Joint both taxpayers need to be present

•Voided check or deposit slip for direct deposit