The Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission has awarded $9,842 in grants for six projects that will commemorate the war in the state. Two of those are for local projects, Commission Chairman Tom Dupree announced Tuesday.
Recipients of the grants were:
• Pine Bluff Downtown Development Inc., $2,000 for an interpretive kiosk on the Battle of Pine Bluff
• Arts and Science Center for Pine Bluff, $1,214 for a pictorial history of the Battle of Pine Bluff featuring art by children
• Arkansas State University, $1,878 for The Battle for Freedom, a video production on the experiences of former slaves in Helena
• Bill and Sharon Arnold Family Foundation, $2,000 for the third annual Fort Lincoln Freedom Festival in DeValls Bluff
• Community Clearinghouse of Fort Smith, $2,000 for the Fort Smith Heritage Festival
• Reed’s Bridge Battlefield Preservation Society, $750 for a symposium to be held in Jacksonville in May.
The deadline to apply for the next round of the grant program is Feb. 15. Grant applications and guidelines can be downloaded at http://www.arkansascivilwar150.com/historical-markers/grants.aspx, or can be requested by writing to ACWS Grants, 1500 Tower Building, 323 Center Street, Little Rock, AR, 72201, sending an e-mail to email@example.com or calling (501) 324-9877.