Voices for Children recently held an event to honor those who are fighting for children in foster care. The event started with dinner and included entertainment by Diann Merritt, The Price is Right game, and a video about the importance of advocating for children in foster care.
Award winners were:
• 2012 Volunteer of the Year — Dawanna Rogers
• 2012 Rookie of the Year — Sandy Babcock
• Outstanding Advocacy Award — Joyce Brown, Diann Merritt, Sonya Palmer and Lauren Roberts
• Outstanding Rookies — Melissa Kaplan and Linda Howell
• Outstanding Service to Families — Therese Free
• Outstanding Attorney Ad Litem — Elizabeth Manso
• Outstanding Board Member — Cindy Dunn
• Community Service Award — Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office Reserve Unit
Voices for Children seeks individuals who are willing to be the voice for the child in the foster care system. No special skills are required. Advocates do not provide financial support or transportation to the children. They simply get to know the child and report the child’s needs and desires to the court through a report. A clean background is required and training is provided at no cost to the volunteer.
For more information about becoming an advocate, call 870-536-5922 or email email@example.com. You may very well be a child’s last hope.