Man convicted of murder accused of slashing former girlfriend's face

A Pine Bluff man who pleaded guilty to a 2003 murder was arrested Wednesday after he allegedly slashed his former girlfriend in the face with a knife.

Jeffrey Lawrence, 37, allegedly went to the woman’s apartment and was causing a disturbance when another ex-boyfriend showed up and the two men got into a fight, Detective Steven Rucker said during testimony at a probable-cause hearing in Pine Bluff District Court on Thursday.

Rucker said Lawrence allegedly pulled out a knife and the female victim, who was trying to break up the fight, was cut in the face before Lawrence left the apartment.

Police were not able to locate Lawrence immediately but later Wednesday got a call that he was at Davis Lifecare where another ex-girlfriend worked, Rucker said in court. He fled when police arrived and was chased for about a mile before officers could take him into custody.

According to Rucker, the second woman told police she and Lawrence had been involved in an altercation after she threw him out of her apartment and during the altercation, Lawrence attempted to slash the woman’s son with a knife.

At the request of Deputy Prosecutor Bryan Achorn, District Judge John Kearney set a $150,000 bond for Lawrence after ruling that prosecutors had probable cause to charge him with second-degree domestic battery.

Lawrence also was ordered to have no contact with the alleged victims until the case is settled.

Files at The Commercial show that Lawrence pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and to being a felon in possession of a firearm on Aug. 18, 2004, and was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

He had originally been charged with first-degree murder in the March 24, 2003 shooting death of Alfred Rogers, 16, who was shot while sitting in a vehicle at 610 E. 21st Ave., and was taken to Jefferson Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead of a gunshot wound to the left side.

According to police, Rogers and Lawrence had allegedly been involved in an argument before the shooting. Lawrence surrendered to police several hours later.

Kearney appointed the Public Defender’s Office to represent Lawrence.