A Redfield woman was killed in a house fire at 4103 N.C.T.R. Road on Saturday night that officials say most likely began in the kitchen.
Jefferson County Coroner Chad Kelley identified the victim as Lillie Parker, 78, who was pronounced dead by Deputy Coroner Eric Belcher at 12:02 a.m. Kelley said the cause of death was smoke inhalation.
Redfield Fire Chief Dennis McFatridge said Monday that dispatch received the initial call at 9:15 p.m. Saturday night.
“When we arrived on scene it was a well-involved fire,” McFatridge said. “It took approximately 40 minutes to get the fire under control and our units were on scene until 1:15 a.m. Sunday morning.”
McFatridge said preliminary information indicates that the fire started in a microwave that contained a bag of popcorn.
Staff writer Michael S. Lee contributed to this story.