PB man pleads guilty in 2013 hit-and-run death

A Pine Bluff man has been sentenced to prison after pleading guilty to leaving the scene of a fatal accident last year.

Daron Richardson, 36, who was on probation on drug-related charges stemming from a 2012 case, also admitted violating conditions of his parole during a court hearing in late December before Circuit Judge Rob Wyatt Jr.

He was sentenced to 10 years in prison for negligent homicide, six years for leaving the scene of an accident involving injury or death, and six years on the probation violation, with all the sentences to run together for one 10-year sentence.

Richardson was accused of hitting Galen Taylor, 66, who was walking north in the southbound lane of U.S. 79 in the early morning hours of May 28 when he was struck by a car driven by Richardson, who was northbound.

Taylor was taken to Jefferson Regional Medical Center, then to a Little Rock hospital where he died several days later after never regaining consciousness.

During a court hearing for Richardson on May 30, Detective Lt. Terry Hopson of the Pine Bluff Police Department said that after the vehicle struck Taylor, he went over the hood of the vehicle, hit the windshield, then fell back into the roadway.

Richardson left the scene and drove to an apartment complex on Sulphur Springs Road where he left the car, then called the owner of the vehicle about an hour later to say where the vehicle was.

During the court hearing, Hopson said police located Richardson two and a half to three hours later and a breath alcohol test was performed on him at that time. The results of that test were a .199, Hopson said. In Arkansas, a reading of .08 and above is considered legally intoxicated.

Hopson said police located a witness who had been with Richardson and received information that Richardson “had not been drinking after the accident.”

A misdemeanor charge of first-offense DWI was dismissed by prosecutors as a part of the plea agreement that Richardson and his attorney signed.