The Arkansas State Plant Board will conduct pesticide collections in Ashley, Bradley, Chicot, Arkansas, Lincoln, Lonoke, Prairie, Drew, Desha and Jefferson counties at designated drop-off locations during March.
Known as the Abandoned Pesticide Program, it provides a way for farmers to dispose of unwanted chemicals, whether the items are outlawed or expired. Those disposing of pesticides will not be required to provide their names or details on the chemicals. The disposal service is free.
“Since 2005, we’ve collected 1.5 million pounds of unwanted chemicals,” said Zach Heathscott, director of the Abandoned Pesticide Program.
The Abandoned Pesticide Program began in 2005, providing 10 collection events a year. This year, the program will expand to 20 collection events with six in area scheduled in March.
The collection events will be open from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• March 10: Ashley/Bradley – John Deere, 406 Hwy. 165 N., Portland
• March 12: Chicot - County Road Shop, 287 Airport Road, Lake Village
• March 13: Arkansas - County Road Shop, 1421 Tip Lane, Dewitt
• March 14: Lincoln - County Recycle Center, 30238 Hwy. 11 S., Star City
• March 26: Drew/Desha - Roadside Park, intersection of Hwy. 65 and 277, Tillar
• March 28: Jefferson - County Road Shop, Seventh Avenue and Sycamore Street, Pine Bluff