The Annual Knowledge Bowl sponsored by the Title I Parent and Family Resource Center for grades 4-9 will be held 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 27, in the auditorium at the Arkansas River Education Service Cooperative, 912 W. 6th Ave.
Kymara Seals, deputy state director for U.S. Sen. Mark Pryor and student advocate, will be the moderator for the event.
Parents and students will compete in a Jeopardy-type competition, answering questions about contributions and achievements of Arkansas’ own heroes, famous African-Americans and math Benchmark released items.
There will be one overall elementary and one overall middle school/junior high winner. The elementary and middle school/junior high overall winners will receive cashier’s checks. All student participants will receive Knowledge Bowl medallions and all school winners will receive trophies.
Preliminary contests were held at the schools and the following are the winners and alternate winners:
• Broadmoor: North Winner-Camron Johnson, son of Beatrice Johnson; North Alternate Winner-NaKeny Thorn, son of Joycett Laws; South Winner-Niala Moore, daughter of Tavai Moore; South Alternate Winner-Calvin Smith Jr., son of Calvin Smith Sr.;
• Oak Park: North Winner-Jayla Jones, daughter of Roshonda Jones; North Alternate Winner-Khardier Locke, son of Alexis Henderson; South Winner-Kalifa Hulsey, daughter of Joyce and Rodney Hulsey; South Alternate Winner-Kristopher Richardson, son of LaKrista Richardson;
• Southwood: North Winner-Erin Westmoreland, granddaughter of Andrew Tolbert; North Alternate Winner-Freddiemae Thompson, daughter of Ronnieus Thompson; South Winner-Tatyana Griffin, daughter of Tiffany Jones; South Alternate Winner-Zsada Antoine, daughter of Grace McKissic;
• Thirty-Fourth: North Winner-Indonesia Jackson, daughter of Kevin Jackson and LaKeisha Taggart; North Alternate Winner-John Jordan, son of John Jordan Sr. and Felicia Smith-Jordan; South Winner-Bradley Clark, son of Loretta Givens and Richard Bradley; South Alternate-Chantlor Dorcey, son of Raymound Dorcey and Biana Bright;
• W.T. Cheney: North Winner-Alyssa Darton, daughter of Damiccah Robertson; North Alternate Winner-Darion Strain, son of Lovetta Alexander; South Winner-Jaylah Warfield, daughter of Lakendrick Burton; South Alternate Winner-Jalani Smith, daughter of Cameron Pierre;
• Belair: North Winner-Maiya Reed, daughter of Stephanie Brooks; North Alternate Winner-MaKayla Reed, daughter of Stephanie Brooks; South Winner-Malcolm Foster, son of Jack Foster;
• Southeast: North Winner-Kaitlyn Peterson, daughter of Stephanie Smith; North Alternate Winner-David Woolfolk II, son of Paula Woolfolk; South Winner-Taiveon Harris, son of Tracy Harris; South Alternate Winner- Kristen Herd, daughter of Hence Herd;
• Jack Robey: North Winner-Sha’nee Hulsey, daughter of Joyce and Rodney Hulsey; North Alternate Winner-Juan Clay, son of Gene Clay; South Winner-Sadagicous Owens, daughter of Diana & Curtis Bailey.