HOUSTON — Ryan Mallett didn’t play against Texas during his Arkansas career, but the Houston Texans’ quarterback is no stranger to the rivalry.
HOUSTON — Arkansas right tackle Brey Cook is well aware of the reality of the national landscape regarding tonight’s Texas Bowl.
FIVE KEYS TODAY’S GAME
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas coach Bret Bielema paid his defensive backs coach a compliment earlier this month, saying Clay Jennings brought a calmness to the secondary when he arrived last winter.
1. Rivalry Renewal: Arkansas and Texas are meeting for the first time since 2008 on Monday night. The Texas Bowl also will be just the fifth time the programs have played since 1991, when the Razorbacks left the Southwest Conference.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas coach Mike Anderson’s “go, go, go” mantra doesn’t only hold to on-the-court affairs. So a rare couple days break his players had for Christmas was a welcome change.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas linebacker Martrell Spaight said earlier this month he couldn’t believe his run as a Razorback was almost over.
1. So Long Sam: Arkansas punter Sam Irwin-Hill , who has made an impact on special teams the past two seasons, will play his final game with the Razorbacks on Monday night.
1. J-Will Returning: Arkansas running back Jonathan Williams gave coach Bret Bielema and the Razorbacks an early Christmas present Wednesday.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas coach Bret Bielema led teams to a bowl game during each of his seven seasons at Wisconsin.
1. Bielema and Broyles: Arkansas coach Bret Bielema has wrapped his arms around the rivalry with Texas as the teams prepare to meet for the first time since 2008 in the Texas Bowl.
FAYETTEVILLE — Bobby Allen started to believe it was going to be a special day the first time Texas lined up with three wide receivers and one running back.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas running back Jonathan Williams gave coach Bret Bielema and the Razorbacks an early Christmas present Wednesday.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas offensive line coach Sam Pittman can see the progress his group has made in 2014, but was realistic about the overall product last week.
FAYETTEVILLE — Former Charleston quarterback Ty Storey has rarely taken a snap from under center since seventh grade.
FAYETTEVILLE — Forward Bobby Portis and guard Michael Qualls made sure Arkansas’ Christmas wasn’t ruined by sloppy shooting Monday night.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas ended a stretch in which it played just one game in 13 days with the 84-67 win against Southeast Missouri in North Little Rock.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas freshman Josh Liddell didn’t have time to think about the first significant action of his career. And it was probably best.
1. Line Shuffle: Arkansas offensive line coach Sam Pittman is preparing his group for a talented defensive front when the Razorbacks play Texas in the Texas Bowl. But Pittman also is using portions of bowl practices for some experimentation.
NORTH LITTLE ROCK — Michael Qualls finally had enough of his lack of high-flying dunks recently for Arkansas.