FAYETTEVILLE — Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney knew the question was coming.
1. Break It Up: Arkansas’ defensive players had a problem getting their hands on the ball at Auburn, failing to break up a pass in the 45-21 loss.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas coach Bret Bielema was surprised when cornerback Tevin Mitchel approached him with a request a few weeks ago.
1. Earn the Work: Arkansas ran the ball 40 times in the second half at Texas Tech. None of the carries went to Korliss Marshall , who was limited to 13 yards on five attempts in the win.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas’ ground game was dominant at Texas Tech, rolling to 438 rushing yards in the 49-28 win.
1. Road Warriors: Arkansas isn’t playing a power conference opponent this week. But coach Bret Bielema and the Razorbacks know they’ll face a big challenge in Northern Illinois.
Grading the Five Keys
LUBBOCK, Texas — Arkansas’ game plan against Texas Tech was no secret.
LUBBOCK, Texas – Maligned, vilified, smeared. Verbs of Arkansas’ defense past didn’t seem appropriate Saturday in West Texas. Against otherwise apparently long odds, it was the Razorbacks’ defense that sparked Arkansas to its first significant non-conference win in 11 years.
LUBBOCK, Texas — Arkansas running back Jonathan Williams was looking forward to playing in his home state for the second time in his collegiate career.
BROOKS ELLIS – The sophomore linebacker created Arkansas’ first touchdown when he forced a Texas Tech fumble on the Red Raiders third drive of the game. The Razorbacks tied the game at 7-7 two plays later. He also broke up four passes, two of which were nearly interceptions, and finished second on the team with eight tackles.
Key numbers from Arkansas’ 49-28 win at Texas Tech
FAYETTEVILLE — Cornerback Carroll Washington and the rest of Arkansas’ defensive backs were disappointed with their opening-day impression.
FIVE KEYS TO TODAY’S GAME
FAYETTEVILLE — Taiwan Johnson is an undersized nose guard.
1. Injury Updates: Arkansas defensive coordinator Robb Smith said cornerback Tevin Mitchel and defensive end Deatrich Wise should be available to play Saturday.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas running back Jonathan Williams didn’t get many opportunities to carry the football in last Saturday’s rout of Nicholls State.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long knows he’s dealing with a different type of football coach in Bret Bielema.
1. Mitchel Ready?: Arkansas may have its most experienced cornerback back on the field when the Razorbacks play at Texas Tech on Saturday.
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long was the guest speaker at the Northwest Arkansas Touchdown Club’s weekly meeting Wednesday.